Terry Burns Of Burns & Associates of Richmond, Virginia recently presented "What's all the fuss about ISO 9001:2015?" to ASQ Raleigh.
Mr. Burns made a case for using the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program for meeting the new ISO 9001:2015 requirements. The Baldrige Excellence Builder is available in a free download here.
The Baldrige documents can offer direction in understanding the new standard by offering explanations of similar clauses.
ISO certified organizations have 3 years to transition to the new 2015 standard. Some of the changes are:
- New Annex SL Format
- 10 Clauses (from 8)
- More easily lines up with other standards
- "Risk-based" language replaces "preventative action"
- Inclusion of Planning to achieve quality objectives
- New Quality System Management model (Leadership is center)
- Services added to Products (before it was implied)
- Quality Manual no longer required (with some exceptions)
- Audit top management to insure hands on involvement - drive quality management to top levels
- Process focused